The twenty first century has become an era defined by massification, measurement and statistics, from child to adulthood we are analysed, metricised and allocated personal algorithms to plot daily existence; So where do we find the time to ‘Play with Purpose’?
This question is especially important in the creative arts, where informal play support creativity and innovation. This conference seeks to develop an understanding of ‘play with purpose’ as an alternative to scoring creative performance.
‘Play with Purpose’ is located in a place where we imagine, explore, reflect then imagine more, where art, design and education use playful philosophies, encourage risk taking, follow intuition, and delight in practice to develop, create and innovate – a playground of ideas.
So How do Artists and Designers use play to Create, Innovate, Learn, Share.
- To reveal connections between play and creativity, social and cultural production
- To develop communities of creative players, makers, thinkers, and dreamers
- To develop provenance in debate on ‘Play’ in art and design education – the creative industries
- Contribute to cultural and economic development and well-being of communities through creative endeavour
- To develop a space where ideas emerge that inform our daily lives through creative intelligent play, where anything is possible
- To inspire the future through Play with Purpose with concepts that enhance design thinking in education, business and commerce using creative play activity, to rejuvenate production
- The conference will be supported by a post conference book on Play and Creativity
The programme includes keynote speakers, panel discussions, and a variety of workshops.
Taking place at the University of Bedfordshire’s postgraduate centre the event is located close to the Luton town centre and the cultural quarter.
This conference encourages submission from a broad range of practices in the creative industries, art, design and education, that impact community, culture and society.
This conferences double referees, all delegate submissions.
Full conference paper submissions after the event for final book publication 10th July 08, 2020
Various exhibitions will take place around the University campus as well as scheduled events in the Alexon House which is home to the School of Art + Design.
Located in the Cultural Quarter with the Art + Design School, Hat Factory studios and Storefront gallery lies the Bear Club a jazz and blues focused music venue where an evening of networking, fun and drinks.
The Bear Club
University Of Bedfordshire